Thursday, May 14, 2009

Day 3 - Sophie's Choice

Meet Sophie. She's a soft, lovable, and cuddly pink and white dog we've been sleeping with for the last several months. Although I felt somewhat silly bringing a stuffed animal to bed for the first time in probably 20 years, I have to say I've grown attached to her. But Sophie was not meant to remain with us forever. We said goodbye Tuesday morning as I carefully packed her away with 2 new onesies and a new dress for our baby girl, and a note of thanks to Mia's nanny. She's leaving Saturday with the Bayly's for Ethiopia and her mission is to impart our smell and comfort to our darling girl. Before, when I thought I'd be holding her in a matter of weeks, I hadn't really put very much thought into this 2nd care package. I was trying to leave room for other families whose wait might be longer than ours. Now, however, I wish I'd had more time to prepare a better gift. I wish I'd prayed over Sophie, written a blessing to be prayed over Mia, something else.
Tonight, I wish I could hold my baby. I wish I could know how much more my heart will love her, and how my life will be changed forever when she finally comes home. But for now, Sophie will carry a small part of me across the ocean and into Mia's arms.

Gracious and Heavenly Father, tonight I ask a blessing on Sophie. I pray that she will bring comfort to Mia, as she brought to me. Please continue working in the Ethiopian government. I pray that you would put a fire in the hearts of the officials working there, that they might feel a passion to end this investigation quickly. Thank you for all of our wonderful blessings, including this opportunity to spend more time with you. I can already see how much more I've grown to know you through this trial. In Jesus' name, Amen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

I wear this on my bracelet to comfort me when I don't know what else to do. May you & Travis find confort in it, as well.

Emily said...

Amie's had some great quotes on here this week!

Sophie is adorable I'm sure will bring great peace and serenity to little Mia. I told Gabby we really need to be praying for Mia a lot and she agreed. ;)

Emily said...

That should have been "Amie has" not "Amie's." Sorry. It's late and my grammar is atrocious.

The Writer Resource Pit: said...

Hi:

Kudos! You have taken on one of the greatest journeys -- adoption. I'm sure you will be blessed when your little one comes home. I wish you the best.

Also I commend you for getting out of the corporate world, namely pharmaceutical sales to pursue your dreams. As yourself, I am a former pharmaceutical sales rep. I loved it, but eventually I got burned out.

I'm pumped up and excited about being a freelance writer and I wouldn't change it for the world!

Emily said...

Any news yet?