Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Day 1 - Peace

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

Today I am focusing on peace. Not worldly peace, that is fleeting and dependent on our circumstances. But the peace Paul describes in Philippians as transcending all human understanding. I don't think I have been praying for anything harder and more fervently in my whole life, and yet I feel a strange sense of peace and calm that my mind keeps telling me is crazy. Yes, it is crazy and illogical to be so calm in the midst of so much uncertainty, but then again, so is the cross. It is crazy how much God loves us.
Let us today pray for God's peace to rest upon all the families that are being affected by this hold. Peace for the children, some of who are old enough to feel the impact of this additional wait.

Lord Jesus, you are the author of all things. Nothing is hidden from your eyes, and you know our hearts and desires. Today, I ask for you to rain down your peace on us. Help us keep our faces on you, and comfort us in this time of uncertainty. I know you are working in all things, and I would ask that you continue to be at work in Ethiopia. Please uncover the things that need to be uncovered, and we boldly ask you to bring our children home quickly. Thank you for your constant and abiding love. Amen

1 comment:

IUgirl78 said...

I feel bad--I did actually read this post yesterday and prayed, but completely spaced leaving a comment! I did think this was ironic as one of my friends recently sent me that verse to help me with my anxiety. I like what you said about trying to focus on peace. I will continue to lift you all up in prayer!