Friday, August 21, 2009

Life in Addis

We are headed home tomorrow, and our emotions are as diverse as this country we are in.  I feel exhausted, touched, overwhelmed, and full of love for this baby girl, who without I cannot imagine life to be possible (even in her fussiest and most challenging moments).  But more than just this child, I have been touched by this country and the people in it.  First impressions are sometimes deceiving, and the more time you spend here, the more you see the beauty.  Beauty in the small children who live on the street, begging to sell you some gum or shine your shoes.  Beauty in the old woman who carries down bundles and bundles of branches down Entoto Mountain, day after day.  Beauty in the smile of the woman who passes you on the street with her child tied to her back.  Beauty in the face of the man who stops to give Mia a kiss and tell her how beautiful she is.  Beauty in the faces of countless orphans, whose expectant eyes long for someone, anyone, to take them home and call them their own.  I have been touched in a way I never thought possible, and life will never be the same again.  It is true: I need Africa more than Africa needs me. 


Get back to school stuff for them and cashback for you. Try BingT now.

6 comments:

Sharla said...

So well said...I felt the same way and I miss Ethiopia already even though we have only been home for two weeks. Wonderful to see a picture of you and your sweet daughter together. Congratulations!

Tracy said...

I just found your blog somehow.
God Bless you and your beautiful family. What a touching story. I will be praying for safe travel home and for all the people of Ethiopia tonight.

Prayers from Iowa

IUgirl78 said...

Oh, wow--what a beautiful post. I will be thinking about you guys and praying for a safe return!

Andrea said...

I met your family today while they were waiting on you at the airport! I got to hear all about Mia and even saw pictures:) Then, they told me about your website. You have one beautiful little miracle! God is so good! Adoption is my dream, too...and I was so excited to see you walk of the plane and get to introduce her to her forever family for the first time! Congrats and enjoy her! What a blessing for all of you! Hang in there through the jet lag!:)

Emily said...

Thanks for a small snapshot of your trip in this post. It was so wonderful finally getting to see you guys with your daughter today for the first time. Truly touching. I love the photo of Sarah and Mia. You can just feel the motherly love!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for letting us be a part of Mia's welcome home gathering at the airport. We love you guys so much and are proud to be close to your family.